I am working with interdisciplinary teams of researchers to improve the lives of people recovering from brain injury. We are currently testing nurse delivered psychosocial strategies to reduce depression following stroke. We are also interested in the interaction of genetic predisposition, fatigue, depression and recovery. Along with our colleagues in other stroke centers, we are developing the research protocols such that we can test them in everyday practice in the next few years.
I teach research methods to both nursing and interdisciplinary doctoral students, and lead the honors seminar for undergraduate honors students (BSN program). I also provide guest lectures to both undergraduate and graduate students about health care in neurological disorders, and about healthcare workforce issues.
Practice, Service, Community Involvement
I am active in the American Academy of Nursing expert panel on quality health care, consult with local and national organizations about healthcare quality, safety and workforce issues. I am active with the American Heart and Stroke Association in development of interdisciplinary research and in grant reviews. I also serve as an ad-hoc reviewer for the National Institute of Nursing Research for research training programs.
- Tirschwell DL &Mitchell PH (2011) Stroke: Understanding and easing the burden of poststroke depression. Nature Reviews in Neurology, 7(1):12-3.
- Kohen, R, Cain, KC, Buzaitis, A, Johnson, V, Becker, KJ, Teri, L, Tirschwell, DL, Veith RC & Mitchell, PH. (2011) Response to psychosocial treatment in poststroke depression is associated with serotonin transporter polymorphisms. Stroke 42(7), 2068-2070.
- Vavilala MS, Kernic MA, Rivara FP, Zatzick DF, Bell MJ, Wainwright M, Groner JI, Giza CC, Mink R, Ellenbogen R, Boyle L, Mitchell P, Kannan N. (2013) Triage of Children with Moderate and Severe Traumatic Brain Injury to Trauma Centers. Journal of Neurotrauma, 30 (13), 1129-1136.
- Mitchell, PH (2014) Global education for collaborative practice. Int Nurs Rev. 2014 Jun;61(2):157-8. doi: 10.1111/inr.12108.
- Vavilala MS, Kernic MA, Wang J, Kannan N, Mink RB, Wainwright MS, Groner JI, Bell MJ, Giza CC, Zatzick DF, Ellenbogen RG, Boyle LN, Mitchell PH, Rivara FP; for the Pediatric Guideline Adherence and Outcomes Study. (2014)
- Acute Care Clinical Indicators Associated With Discharge Outcomes in Children With Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. Crit Care Med. 2014 Jul 31. [Epub ahead of print]
Current Research Projects
- Co-investigator: Implementation Science Methods to Increase Adherence to Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury Guidelines. 1R01NS072308 (M. Vavilala, PI) 2010-15
- PI:Psychosocial/Behavioral Intervention in Post-Stroke Depression (R01 NR007755 National Institute of Nursing Research), 2002-14
- Co-PI: Nurse Driven Staffing Project , Valley Medical Center and SEIU-1199 NW, 2013-15
- Mentor: 4 research training grants