The UW School of Nursing BSN Honors Program offers undergraduate students working toward a BSN degree the opportunity to earn departmental honors and graduate “With Honors in Nursing.”
The BSN Honors Program is not available to Accelerated BSN students.
Graduating “With Honors” is a nationally recognized scholastic achievement that signifies additional effort and accomplishment. The UW SoN is the only nursing school in Washington State to offer honors in the baccalaureate degree.
Students at the UW can apply for admission to Interdisciplinary Honors at the time of application as freshman. See http://depts.washington.edu/uwhonors/reqs/ for more information on UW Honors opportunities and requirements
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the nursing honors program?
The Honors Program within the School of Nursing provides an opportunity for students:
- to be part of a scholarly learning community with a small group of peers
- to be mentored in nursing science research with a SoN faculty
- to gain experience in presenting their research project at a symposium
The UW School of Nursing is a leading research institution, and this program allows students to engage with faculty in cutting-edge programs of research through mentored experiences. Current BSN students who meet the eligibility requirements (see below) have an opportunity to pursue their interest in a chosen area of nursing science and undertake a year-long research project under the guidance of a faculty researcher.
Undergraduate nursing students interested in the BSN Honors Program apply for admission during spring quarter of their first (junior) year in the nursing program. Accepted students are notified prior to the end of Spring Quarter and will be matched with a faculty mentor in fall quarter. All requirements for graduating with honors in nursing are met during the second (senior) year in the nursing program.
How do I apply to the School of Nursing BSN Honors Program?
- Complete the BSN Honors Program Application by the deadline below including short personal statement and goals.
- Get an electronic copy of your unofficial UW transcript via MyUW (save the Printer Friendly version as a PDF)
- Print your application and transcript, place both in a manila envelope marked “Honors Application,” and bring to the SoN reception desk (T-301), by May 5, 2014.
All applications must be received no later than
5:00pm on Monday, May 5, 2014.
What are the requirements for the BSN Honors Program?
- Minimum of a 3.3 cumulative UW GPA
- Minimum of a 3.5 cumulative School of Nursing GPA
- Participation in 1-credit honors seminar (NURS 445: Topics in Nursing) Autumn, Winter and Spring quarters of senior year
- Register for honors credit in NMETH403: Introduction to Nursing Research
- Complete 4-credits of mentored research experience during senior year (NMETH499)
- Participate in Undergraduate Research Symposium (May 2015) poster session
What are some examples of BSN Honors projects?
Completed BSN Honors projects include a variety of topics:
- Adolescent Sleep Effect on Body Composition, Activity Level, and Nutrition
- Parental Distress and Relationship Strain after Preterm Birth
- Estrogen DNA Adduct for Cancer Prevention and Treatment
- Integrating Global Health Skills and Competencies into Nursing Education
- Thermoregulation of the Pre-term Infant
- Examining Older Adults’ Perceptions of Fall Devices: A Secondary Analysis
- The Use of Public Health Data to Improve Policy and Practice
- Reawakening Post Cardiac Arrest and Targeted Temperature Management
- Traumatic Brain Injury and Older Adults
- The Costs of Mall Walker Programs for Older Adults
- Web-Resources for Patients Living with Diabetes
- Prevalence of Post-Stroke Fatigue in the Puget Sound
- Adolescent depression: The Role of the Family for At-Risk Youth
- Concepts of Infant and Toddler Mental Health for BSN Curriculum
- The Future of Health Professional Education
Who can I talk with to learn more about the BSN Honors Program?
Barbara Burns McGrath, RN, PhD is the faculty coordinator for the Nursing Honors Program, please contact her for more information: email@example.com