Every child has the right to the early nurturing relationships that are the foundation for life-long healthy development.
The Barnard Center for Infant Mental Health and Development supports the professional development of interdisciplinary infant mental health practitioners. By providing quality research and training that promotes healthy social and emotional development we give young children and their families the best possible start.
- To advance knowledge about infant and early childhood mental health and the centrality of early relationships to the healthy development of young children.
- To promote collaborative university-community partnerships for infant and early childhood mental health education and training, advocacy, and clinical research.
- To offer educational opportunities in infant and early childhood mental health.
- To promote effective preventive approaches to children's emtional, social, and behavioral problems.
- To conduct longitudinal and clinical research to increase our understanding of the development of vulnerable children, and effective community and family intervention efforts on their behalf.