|This information applies to Seattle campus students only. UW-Bothell and UW-Tacoma students should check with their respective campuses about tuition exempt policies.|
How do I request tuition exemption status at the University of Washington?
UW employees should submit a completed Faculty Staff Tuition Exemption Form (UoW 1374) or non-UW employee should submit the Application for State Tuition Exemption Program Form (UoW 1250) to:
University of Washington
225 Schmitz Hall, Box 355850
Seattle, Washington 98195-8580
Submit the appropriate form at least 10 days before the quarter begins. A tuition exemption form must be submitted each quarter. Tuition Exemption Forms are also available from:
- your personnel office
- the UW Office of Undergraduate Admissions
- the UW Registration Office
- the UW Professional & Organizational Development Office
Are there any costs to me as a tuition-exempt student?
Yes. In addition, please note that some School of Nursing courses are ineligible for tuition-exemption (see below):
- An application form must be accompanied by an application fee of $35. Send a check or money order (U.S. dollars only) payable to the University of Washington. Do not send cash. The application fee is nonrefundable.
- A $30 non-refundable registration fee and any additional tuition for credits over 6 will be billed to the employee.
- A $25.00 late registration fee will be assessed if the student initially registers for the quarter on or after the eighth calendar day of that quarter.
- A $20.00 fee will be charged for all registration changes made on a single day beginning the eighth calendar day of the quarter.
- Tuition exempt students must pay:
- the quarterly UW Technology Fee;
- any course fees as listed on the Time Schedule; and
- if matriculated in the School of Nursing, the one-time Student Health Fee.
- for any School of Nursing course/program that does NOT qualify for tuition exemption (see below).
To which courses and/or programs does tuition exemption NOT apply?
The following School of Nursing courses do not qualify for tuition exemption:
|NCLIN||ALL NCLIN courses|
|NMETH||598, 600, 700, 800, 801|
|Any course offered through UW Professional & Continuing Education (PCE)|
Do I need to apply each quarter I attend?
You need only apply once to the University as long as you maintain continuous enrollment in the same status (Summer Quarter excepted). However, a Tuition Exemption Form must be submitted each quarter to be eligible for the tuition exemption.