Washington State Council of
Epsilon Sigma Alpha International Sorority
”Roberta Smith Nursing Scholarship”
Dear Scholarship Applicant:
The Roberta Smith Nursing Scholarship will be awarded by the Washington State Council of Epsilon Sigma Alpha International Sorority to an individual college student enrolled in a certified/accredited registered nursing program or post graduate program in nursing meeting the following requirements:
1. The applicant shall be a student attending an accredited school of nursing for Registered Nurses in the State of Washington or post graduate program.
2. The applicant shall be a Washington State resident.
3. The applicant shall be at least a second year student of an accredited nursing program for Registered Nurses.
4. The applicant shall be planning to graduate from an accredited program leading to an Associate of Arts or Baccalaureate degree in nursing.
5. The applicant shall be in need of financial assistance….please be specific.
6. The scholarship of $500.00 shall be awarded without regard to race, religion or national origin.
Selection will be made annually in March and the scholarship awarded with verification of fall registration for at least the minimum amount of credits needed to comply with full time status. The criteria for this scholarship are based on your personal goals, achievements and needs.
The application packet must be postmarked by February 15 annually and must include the following:
1. Signed and completed application form.
2. A sealed copy of your transcript.
3. Three (3) signed and sealed letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your abilities and potential for success. At least one letter must be from a teacher or professor.
4. Please submit a typed narrative of 200 words or less on:
What prompted you to enter the registered nursing field or to further your nursing
5. Proof of residency in the State of Washington
Please mail your completed packet to:
Jean Merrill, Scholarship Chairman
3732 S Tekoa
Spokane WA 99203
“ROBERTA SMITH NURSING SCHOLARSHIP”
Full Name of Applicant: ________________________________________________
Mailing Address (city/state/zip): ___________________________________________________________________
Telephone Number __________ Student ID #: ___________Year of Birth ________
Marital Status _______ No. of children _________No of children at home ________
High School: ________________________________________________________
Location (City/State): __________________________________________________
Accredited School(s) of Higher Learning Previously Attended:
School Location (City/State) Dates Attended
College GPA: ______
Name of accredited school of nursing for registered nurses to which you have applied and enrolled:
School Location (City/State) Expected date of Graduation
Do you now or will you be receiving financial aid? Yes _____ No _____
Type: ________________________________________Amount: ______________
What are your areas of financial need? (i.e., tuition, books, transportation, and childcare): ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Have you applied for or received other scholarships? Yes _____ No ___________
If yes, date(s) and from whom, including the length of time of the scholarship: ____________________________________________________________________
If yes, the amount of the scholarship you received: ____________________________________________________________________
Page 1 of 2
Honors, Awards, Offices held: ____________________________________________________________________
Community interests and activities in which you participate: ____________________________________________________________________
Date of Application Signature of Applicant
Your application packet must include:
1. Completed application form.
2. Sealed copy of your most recent transcript (ORIGINAL, Official Transcript with school stamp, school officials’ signature or embossed stamp).
3. Three (3) signed letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your abilities and potential for success. At least one letter must be from a teacher or professor.
4. A typed narrative of 200 words or less on:
What prompted you to enter the registered nursing field or to further your
5. Proof of Washington State residency. Acceptable proof is a copy of your
valid Washington State driver’s license. If no driver’s license, a copy of your residence’s power bill that includes your name on it. If living with your parents, a copy of their power bill that includes the name/address and a signature of parent(s) stating that you are living at that residence.