Application Availability and Deadline
Applications to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program are generally available from August until January. Applications are due no later than 5:00pm PST on January 15 to begin study the following Autumn Quarter.
- A minimum college-level cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0; you can download our GPA Worksheet to determine if you are eligible to apply
- Completion of 90 quarter credits of prerequisite courses by the time you matriculate into the program, including:
- A minimum of 3 Natural World courses with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, or 4 Natural World courses with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 must be completed at the time of application
- All prerequisites listed must be completed by the end of Summer Quarter, prior to the Autumn Quarter start of the BSN program
- A minimum grade of 2.0 in ALL prerequisite courses
- A minimum of 100 hours volunteer or paid health care experience in one setting within a period of 3 months, completed within 12 months prior to applying to the BSN program
- Meeting Essential Behaviors for undergraduate students
- Proof of English language proficiency (all applicants)
Required Application Materials
Download, complete and return all of the following BSN application materials. Read the application instructions carefully. You will need to submit an electronic AND a printed copy of your application. Your printed application and all required accompanying materials must be submitted in 1 packet, free of staples, clips or any other type of binder.
The BSN application form uses calculated fields. Make sure you have the most recent version of Adobe Reader installed when completing this application.
- BSN application instructions
- BSN application (includes checklist, application form, and Optional Applicant Data form)
- Supplemental Academic History form (if you have attended more than 4 colleges/universities)
- Letter of recommendation cover form
- Essential Qualifications of Candidates for BSN & ABSN Admissions form
- Background Check, Authorization for Repeat Checks, and Dissemination of Results form (do NOT run the background check when you apply)
- 1 letter of recommendation
- Personal statement (see instructions for essay questions)
- Current resume (see instructions for format guidelines)
- Sealed official transcripts from each college or university you have ever attended or are currently attending, including the University of Washington; foreign transcripts must include translated evaluations
- Course descriptions for Lifespan Growth & Development, Statistics, and any BSN Natural World prerequisite courses completed outside of Washington State
- If you are not currently a University of Washington student at the Seattle campus, you will also need to submit an application to UW Seattle.
BSN Proctored Essay Session
After initial review of all applications, all BSN applicants will receive an e-mail by 5:00pm Friday, February 7, 2014 from the School indicating whether or not they should come to the Seattle campus to write the proctored essay. You should reserve Wednesday, February 12th, 2014 from 6:00 - 7:00pm in advance in case you are asked to write this essay.
The proctored essay will be held in Hogness Auditorium in the Health Sciences Building (room A420). Signs will be posted to direct you to the auditorium, and directions to the School can be found online.
Out-of-area applicants unable to come to the Seattle campus should follow the directions in the BSN application instructions for setting up a proctor for the essay.