- A student may not enroll for course credit and be paid for the same hours.
- If a student is an employee of a site or has any other formal relationship with the site where s/he has been placed to do course work as a student, roles must be clearly defined and separated, in writing and in advance of the placement, as follows:
- A faculty supervisor must be listed for each student.
- Program or course content and educational objectives for the student’s experience at the site must be detailed.
- If a student is also an employee of site or has a formal relationship with the site, the hours in which the student is functioning as an employee/in the other role vs. the hours the student is functioning as a student must be defined.
- In order to avoid potential conflict between the site’s expectations regarding levels of productivity related to site objectives and the student’s use of time at the site to meet STUDENT objectives, a student may not bill for a service s/he provided while in a student role.
- No preceptor may hold student status in the same degree program, in the same graduate certificate program, or in the corresponding MN/DNP specialty, as a student s/he is precepting.
- The student’s preceptor of record - or an approved, temporary designee - must be on-site at the same time as the student.
Revised July 2010
Academic Services Memo No. 41