When You Apply to the School of Nursing
Print out, sign and date, and include copies of the completed UW School of Nursing Background Check, Authorization for Repeat Checks, and Dissemination of Results form with your application.
DO NOT PAY THE $65 TO RUN THE BACKGROUND CHECK AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION. If admitted to the School of Nursing, you will receive a time window during which you will pay to have your background check run.
Applicants with a positive criminal history are encouraged to submit a written statement with their application materials explaining the circumstances. Applicants who do not fill out the Background Check, Authorization for Repeat Checks, and Dissemination of Results truthfully will not be considered for admission.
Admitted and Continuing Students
If and when you are offered admission to the UW School of Nursing you will be instructed at that time to use an online service, Verified Credentials, Inc., to obtain required background checks. All students pay a fee for this service; the current fee is approximately $65.
- Continuing undergraduate students must maintain a background check completed within the past 12 months throughout their enrollment in the School of Nursing. Continuing undergraduate students will be asked to renew their background checks annually until they graduate.
- Continuing graduate students must maintain a background check completed within the past 24 months throughout their enrollment in the School of Nursing. Continuing graduate students will be asked to renew their background checks bi-annually until they graduate.
Please do not run this check prior to your admittance. If a check is run too early you will be asked to run the check again. More information will come to you in your admittance letter.
The Verified Credentials service will provide the School of Nursing with required background check information for all states, so there will be no need for admits who have resided outside the state of Washington during the last three (3) years to provide this information separately.
No international background checks are required for international admits or domestic admits who have resided outside the U.S. during the past three (3) years. However, these admits will still need to complete the Verified Credentials background check.
Note to International Applicants
International Applicants should submit their background check through Verified Credentials. After selecting your nursing program on the Verified Credentials website look for a box marked "non-U.S. Candidate." Check that box and you will be able to enter an ID number from your country instead of the Social Security Number and proceed with the steps for initiating the background check. If you have any questions, please contact Academic Services at the School of Nursing at (206) 543-8736 or 1 (800) 759-NURS or via our online form.
Completing the Background Check
If you are admitted to the School of Nursing, we will advise you when you should run your background check. Do NOT run the check before you have been officially notified that you have been admitted to the School.
Download and carefully follow the Verified Credentials Instructions for completing your background check at the appropriate time.
If you have previously run a background check for the School of Nursing, you will need an "update" code from this list.
Some Things to Remember:
- The UW School of Nursing will have online access to your completed Verified Credentials background check report. Should your background check raise areas of concern related to your participation in a School of Nursing program, you will be contacted by a representative of the school.
- The background check is REQUIRED as part of your admittance to the School. You should submit the necessary information to Verified Credentials in a timely fashion so that your check can be reviewed. Without it, your offer of admittance will be rescinded. Background checks that provide evidence of a positive criminal history will be considered on a case by case basis.
- We understand that the cost of running a background check can be burdensome. While we cannot waive the fee, applicants who are accepted into a UW nursing degree program and who choose to apply for student financial aid from the School of Nursing may include the cost of the background check on their list of expenses. The School will consider this cost when awarding financial aid.
For assistance with technical issues (problems with the VCI website, payment issues, etc.), please contact Verified Credentials Customer Services at 1 (800) 938-6090 or email@example.com
For general questions about this process, please contact the Academic Services Office at (206) 543-8736 or 1 (800) 759-NURS or via our online form. Please do not contact AS with technical support questions.