Skip to Content
Skip to Navigation

Tuition Exemption FAQ

This information applies to Seattle campus students only. UW-Bothell and UW-Tacoma students should check with their respective campuses about tuition exempt policies.

How do I request tuition exemption status at the University of Washington?

UW employees should submit a completed Faculty Staff Tuition Exemption Form (UoW 1374) or non-UW employee should submit the Application for State Tuition Exemption Program Form (UoW 1250) to:

    University of Washington
    Registration Office
    225 Schmitz Hall, Box 355850
    Seattle, Washington 98195-8580

Submit the appropriate form at least ten days before the quarter begins. A tuition exemption form must be submitted each quarter. Tuition Exemption Forms are also available from:

Are there any costs to me as a tuition-exempt student?

Yes. In addition, please note that some School of Nursing courses are ineligible for tuition-exemption (these are listed below under fees):

  • An application form must be accompanied by an application fee of $35. Send a check or money order (U.S. dollars only) payable to the University of Washington. Do not send cash. The application fee is nonrefundable.
  • A $30 non-refundable registration fee and any additional tuition for credits over 6 will be billed to the employee.
  • A $25.00 late registration fee will be assessed if the student initially registers for the quarter on or after the eighth calendar day of that quarter.
  • A $20.00 fee will be charged for all registration changes made on a single day beginning the eighth calendar day of the quarter.
  • Tuition exempt students must pay:
    • the quarterly UW Technology Fee;
    • any course fees as listed on the Time Schedule; and
    • if matriculated in the School of Nursing, the one-time Student Health Fee.
  • Some School of Nursing courses and programs do NOT qualify for tuition exemption (see next question).

To which courses and/or programs does tuition exemption NOT apply?

  1. The following School of Nursing courses do not qualify for tuition exemption:
    Prefix Course
    NCLIN 599, 798
    NCLIN ALL NCLIN courses as of Autumn 2010
    NMETH 598, 600, 700, 800, 801
    NURS 499, 599
  2. No course or program offered through UW Educational Outreach (EO) is qualified for tuition exemption.

Do I need to apply each quarter I attend?

You need only apply once to the University as long as you maintain continuous enrollment in the same status (Summer Quarter excepted). However, a Tuition Exemption Form must be submitted each quarter to be eligible for the tuition exemption.