The process to transfer or add a specialty, program, or certificate involves submitting an application to the Graduate School and the School of Nursing.
- The deadline to apply to transfer or add a specialty or certificate is January 15.
- Specialties that are full will not review applications throughout the academic year. Applications to those specialties are ONLY considered at the January 15 deadline.
- Specialties that are not full can accept applications on a space-available basis. You are welcome to contact Carolyn Chow in Academic Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss whether an application can be considered outside of the January 15 deadline.
- Transfer or addition of a specialty or certificate is NOT guaranteed.
- You will complete and submit a Graduate School application. The cost of the application is $75.00. Go to: https://www.grad.washington.edu/applForAdmiss/
- Choose the degree or certificate program to which you are applying. For example, MN, DNP, PhD, Graduate Certificate. Specify the specialty for which you want to be considered.
- On the Supplemental Form of the Graduate Application, be sure to answer questions 4. I am a current School of Nursing student and am applying to transfer to a new specialty; and 5. I am a current School of Nursing graduate student and am applying to add a specialty or Graduate Certificate Program.. Answering those questions cues Academic Services to your current student status and helps us facilitate your review.
- You will need to submit a complete application.
- This means you will need to upload a current resume;
- Respond to all the essay questions so that your responses are specific to the specialty to which you are applying, and;
- Submit current letters of recommendation. You are welcome to contact the faculty lead for the specialty you wish to transfer to or add to see if s/he wants you to submit new letters of recommendation. If s/he does not require you to submit new letters, you must contact Carolyn Chow to request that the letters of recommendation from your student file be included in your transfer/add application.
- Transcripts: You are welcome to contact Carolyn Chow in Academic Services to request that your transcripts be copied from your current student file. However, you will STILL need to submit a UW transcript so that any grades and coursework you have taken since you were initially admitted to the School of Nursing are accurately reflected. Faculty need current transcripts for any review.
- Submit the complete application by January 15. You will be reviewed and notified of results by mid-April.
Details to Consider
- Tuition and fees will be set based on the most expensive program into which you matriculate.
- There is a single deadline for application, i.e. NO applying to transfer/add during the year unless a specialty or certificate is not full.
- Current students applying to transfer/add a program will have to pay the $75 application fee. There are no exceptions to this.
If you have any questions about this process, you are welcome to contact Carolyn Chow, Director of Admissions and Multicultural Student Affairs at email@example.com.