Minimum Requirements to Apply to the PhD Program
- We do NOT require the GRE for any of our graduate programs.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 90 graded quarter credits
- If your native language is not English, proof of English language proficiency (reading, writing and comprehension)
- If you are an International applicant and plan to take clinical nursing courses, an active unrestricted US Registered Nurse (RN) license at time of application and a Washington State RN license to begin program are required. If not enrolling in clinical nursing courses, an RN license is not required for the PhD program.
If admitted to the PhD program, additional requirements you MUST meet before starting classes are:
- completing a background check through Verified Credentials
- a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university (does not need to be a degree in Nursing)
- if you plan to take clinical nursing courses, you must possess an active, unrestricted Washington RN license (this includes international applicants). If not enrolling in clinical nursing courses RN licensure not required for PhD program.
Required Application Materials
- PhD application instructions
- PhD application checklist
- Online PhD application, including School of Nursing Supplemental Form
- Current curriculum vitae
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Statement of Goals and Research Interests
- Scholarly writing sample
- Completed Background Check, Authorization for Repeat Checks, and Dissemination of Results form
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended
- Copies of English proficiency scores, if applicable
If you have any interest in pre-doctoral training program fellowships available through the School of Nursing, complete the following form and include it with your application to the School of Nursing: