Steps in the Selection of the DNP Supervisory Committee
- Read Graduate School Memorandum No. 45 as well as Considerations for Selecting Supervisory Committee Members and Chair.
- During the first year of your doctoral program, we encourage you to discuss your interests with your faculty advisor and any potential members of the faculty who may be appropriate to guide your capstone project.
- Interview members of the graduate faculty with compatible inquiry interests and methods to consider who might be an appropriate chair of your supervisory committee. Remember, your prospective chairperson is selected first.
- You and your prospective chairperson identify likely candidates for the rest of the committee. Consider the ability of selected members to work together, as well as required expertise.
- Interview potential supervisory committee members and confirms their willingness to serve as a member of your supervisory committee.
- Submit a written memorandum for the appointment of your Supervisory Committee to Dr. Maggie Baker, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to yourself and to Graduate Program Advisor Betsy Mau, email@example.com (no hard copies will be reviewed). If you select committee members from outside the University of Washington, please provide their contact information.
- The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs is the School of Nursing Graduate Program Coordinator. The Associate Dean reviews the letter of request and forwards it, via an Academic Services staff member, to the Graduate School for appointment and approval of the individual committee members.
- The supervisory committee is appointed by the Dean of the Graduate School.
- The student establishes a schedule of regular appointments with the Supervisory Committee Chair in order to enhance progression according to the student's identified time frame for completion.