We thank you for taking the time and effort to apply to our programs. Because we are unable to speak with every applicant individually, we are posting the most common and consistent reasons applicants were not offered admission to the ABSN program. Unfortunately, we are unable to admit every applicant. Many factors contribute to why the admissions committees may have denied an applicant. Please carefully review this list of common reasons for denial. Be sure to take into consideration that the UW School of Nursing received many more applications than spaces available in each program and specialty. Each applicant is scored and considered in relation to her/his competitiveness within the entire pool of applicants to each specific program.
- The applicant did not meet minimum requirements. For example, an application was submitted despite not meeting prerequisite, grade, GPA, or application completion criteria.
- ABSN is an academically rigorous program. An applicant may have been considered an academic risk if s/he has repeated several natural world courses in order to meet the minimum GPA requirement for either program. Though the applicant may have met the minimum requirement, a pattern of repeats, withdrawals, or inconsistent performance makes her/him less competitive within the context of the entire pool that applied at the same time.
- The applicant may have expressed minimal or less relevant health care experience in relation to her/his stated goals and/or in relation to the pool of overall applicants.
- The applicant did not clearly articulate how her/his background, experience, and goals have prepared them to succeed in the program.
- The applicant did not articulate a clear understanding of role and profession and as a result was not considered a definite match with the program and/or specialty.
- The overall presentation of the application did not indicate to reviewers a level of maturity, self-awareness, and/or self-reflection necessary in order to succeed in a demanding academically and personally challenging program and profession.