University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-7266
I study tissue repair in acute and chronic wounds. My program of research focuses on clinical interventions designed to influence tissue oxygen, perfusion and temperature and test their effects on molecular, biochemical and clinical wound healing outcomes. Current research efforts are focused on he study of clinical interventions to reduce surgical site infection and the study of various aspects of pressure ulcers. Additional research interests include studies focusing on clinical practice issues and evidence based practice initiatives.
I teach and mentor graduate students, as well as nurses in practice, in research methods, capstone and dissertation work. I teach in and serve as the faculty liaison for the UW Wound Management Education Program, the Wound Management Fundamentals Course, and the Medical Surgical Education program offered through UW SoN CNE. I am Co-director for two structured training programs: the NIH sponsored Biobehavioral Nursing Research Training Program and the NIH sponsored ITHS TL1, Multidisciplinary Predoctoral Translational Research Training Program.
Practice, Service, Community Involvement
I am active in the Wound Healing Society and at any given time serve on committees and special topic initiatives related to wound healing. I serve on the editorial boards for Wound Repair and Regeneration and the Journal of Clinical Nursing. I serve as a reviewer for a number of journals and grant sponsors. I hold a position as a Nurse Scientist at Harborview Medical Center where I work with nurses to create and implement clinical inquiry, evidence based practice and quality improvement initiatives. I am an active member of the Seattle Nursing Research Consortium.
- Zaratkiewicz S, Whitney JD, Taylor SM, F O’Donnell, P Minton-Foltz. (2010) Development and Implementation of a Hospital-Acquired Pressure Ulcer Incidence Tracking System and Algorithm. Journal for Healthcare Quality; Published Online: Jan 22.
- Tsuji, J., Whitney J.D., Tolentino, E., Perrin, M. Cellular Wound Healing Analysis using Flow Cytometry and ePTFE Implants.(2010) Wound Repair and Regeneration; 18:335-40.
- Alderden J, Whitney JD, Taylor SM, Zaratkiewicz S.A Retrospective Record Review of Risk Profile Characteristics Associated with Hospital Acquired Pressure Ulcer Outcomes. Critical Care Nurse (2011);31(4):30-43. PMID:21807682
- DuHamel M, Karvonen C, Sayre C, Hirnle C, Wyant S, Whitney JD. Enhancing medical-surgical nursing practice: using practice tests and clinical examples to promote active learning and program evaluation. Journal Cont Ed Nurs (2011);42(10):457-62. PMID:21736250.
- Zaratkiewicz S, Teegardin C, Whitney JD. Retrospective Review of the Reduction of Oral Pressure Ulcers in Mechanically Ventilated Patients: A Change in Practice. Crit Care Nurs Quarterly (2012), 35:247-54. PMID:22668998
- Lowe J, Reiber G, Whitney JD. Does incorporation of a clinical support template in the electronic medical record improve capture of wound care data in a cohort of Veterans with diabetic foot ulcers? J Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing (2013);40(2):157-62. PMID:23466720
Current Research Projects
- Local warming: Effects on Wound Infection and Healing. Principle Investigator. RO1. National Institute for Nursing Research, NIH. $487,551 (Yr1) 9/9/05-6/30/10.
- Using Technology to Expand Wound Management Education. PI. Health Resources and Services Administration, DHHS. Basic Nurse Education and Practice Program. 7/1/2011-6/30/2014. $911,367.
- Intraoperative Measurement and Optimization of Tissue Oxygen. PI (under review).